« April 2005 | Main | November 2005 »

May 16, 2005

Words that seem odd to me, Part I

Argosy

I was looking in the phone book for a limousine company and saw a firm called "Argosy Limousine". Now my only real exposure to the word argosy was from Argosy Magazine which I had always considered a "men's magazine". So I assumed that argosy had some type of "adult" meaning. After seeing this Argosy Limousine in the phone book, I realized that I didn't actually know what the word meant. So I looked it up on Dictionary.com. I was vaugely disappointed:

1. Nautical.
1. A large merchant ship.
2. A fleet of ships.
2. A rich source or supply: an argosy of adventure lore.

That's not really dirty at all.

Posted by aellis at 11:18 AM | Comments (0)

May 07, 2005

Toe Update

toeowie01.jpg

toeowie02.jpg

As you can see, I still have my toe. As disgusting as that is.

These pictures don't really show much, but if you can get away from that actual grossness of my toe, you can see where the entire right side of my toe got scraped. In the second picture you can see a little flap of skin that is still seperated from the actual toe. Right after the "incident", the entire section from that flap down to the black mark near the nail was not connected to my body at all.

All in all, I'm a pretty disgusting human being. Come back in a few days and I'll show you all the places on my body where hair shouldn't grow but actually *is* growing. All due to the magic of getting older.

Posted by aellis at 12:30 PM | Comments (0)

May 06, 2005

Angel Shrek

angelshrek01.jpg

angelshrek02.jpg

angelshrek03.jpg

angelshrek04.jpg

Posted by aellis at 10:09 PM | Comments (0)

May 02, 2005

Hello Toe, Goodbye Toe

I managed to rip off a large portion of my left big toe this evening.

I'll just let that sentence sit there for a minute.

I was walking into the garage wearing socks (and *other* clothes, not just socks) to get something out of the refrigerator when I slipped on a piece of chalk. Not a tiny, thin stick of chalk like teachers used in school. I'm talking about a big, thick, round, hunk of sidewalk-drawin' chalk. Chalk that, interestingly enough, was almost the exact color gray (grey?) as the garage floor. My right foot stepped directly on the chalk and I started rolling forward. My left foot, in a rush to help keep balance, came forward really, *really* hard stubbing the big toe in the process.

Stubbing is such an innocent word. It's kind of cute - "stub". What really happened during the "Stubbing" is that I basically kicked my big toe directly in the concrete garage floor. I felt like I had broken it. Which is stupid because since I've never broken my big toe, I can't really say that I know what it feels like. I cursed and cursed. Damnit. And I hobbled upstairs to our bedroom where Claudine and all three kids were playing and watching T.V. I told Claudine about what happened and we joked about it. I asked her if she wanted to kiss it and I lifted my foot up to her face. That was when we both noticed the large amount of blood pumping out of my sock. Whoa-oooh. Better take a look at that.

I hobbled back into the bathroom where I took off my sock. And I was greeted by a portion of my big toe waving back at me. Which is to say that a portion of the tip of the toe had separated itself from the rest of the big toe. Claudine immediately jumped into action. And so did I. While Claudine was looking for all sorts of medical equipment, I went down to my office to take a picture of my toe. And of course, it was then that I discovered that the batteries in my digital camera were dead. So I don't have a picture of the wound to show you.

Claudine patched be up with these things called "Steri-strips" which are the next step down from actual stitches. She *could* have stitched me up right there in the kitchen if she needed to. I think that's pretty cool - I'll never have to go to the emergency room for stitches any more. I'll just have my wife stitch me up in the kitchen. But I don't have stitches this time. In a couple of days, she'll take these Steri-Strips off and look to see if that little chunk of flesh at the end of my toe wants to remain part of the toe or if I'm going to have a deformed little piggy for the rest of my life.

Posted by aellis at 10:20 PM | Comments (0)

Yankee Humor

I wish, wish, wish that I had taken a screencap of this. I was wasting time on the web (big surprise) and was looking at either cnnsi.com or espn.com. Some headline writer at one of these places must have not been paying attention because this is what I saw:

Yankees insert Wang into rotation.

Posted by aellis at 01:40 PM | Comments (0)

May 01, 2005

May Day

How many other blog and journal entries are title "May Day" today? Don't know, but I couldn't think of anything original.

So here I am trying to pick this blog up again. If this effort is anything like the last few, you should see a number of entries in the next week or so, then nothing until I get motivated once *again*. Not sure why sitting down and writing entries is so difficult. Perhaps it is the three kids in the house.

Speaking of the house, we are about to have some major work done on our house. I may have mentioned before that my mother is coming to live with us. After my father died, the house she was living in was just too big. Actually, *before* my father died the house was too big for them. It was the house we moved into in 1975. So they had a four bedroom house for the two of them. And now it's just her so it's time for her to get out.

Our current house is a split level so we got the wacky idea to go up one more level. So we're building a good size apartment one half flight up. And since that split is right against Annabel's room, we are adding a little loft to give her a little more space. We are also building a small office for me off the master bedroom. That way I can get out of the converted dining room. the dining room with no doors. The dining room that the kids like to run through. When I'm on the phone.

So the construction starts in the next couple of days. And in this case, "construction" starts with distruction. They have to take the current roof and rafters off before they can start to build. So that should be interesting. We've had to empty out Annie's room completely. We've moved her bed into Jake's room because that's the biggest room. And he certainly is handling the inconvenence better than I think Bobby would. The whole thing is supposed to take 12 to 15 weeks. I'm sure that those of you who have dealt with contractors before are laughing at that right now.

Claudine took some "before" pictures. Yet I am too lazy to get her camera to post them right now. If you come back tomorrow, you get to see the "before" pictures. I'll be posting pictures all the way though this ordeal for your amusement. And that way you can play right along at home with our remodeling project.

Posted by aellis at 07:51 PM | Comments (0)